Wednesday, October 22, 2008

iGoogle - It's just the beginning

When I first started playing with iGoogle, it was just that playing. It was fun to add pieces of news, and the few blogs I really stay in touch with. Sure the calendar was nice, and a quick glance at my email was cool too. Still, it didn't really grab my attention. Well, that's changed.

It all started when I bumped into a LaTeX formula creator online. That's the subject of another whole post, but basically it's an online math formula creator. Anyway, it was useful and so I bookmarked it. Then I noticed a small icon that said "click me and I'll appear in your iGoogle page". "OK", I thought, "Why not?". And just like that my iGoogle page now has a math formula app on it. That made me think, "What else it out there?". WOW! There are all kinds of things out there and they work!

So now, I don't just have a home page, I have a mobile desktop/computer where ever I go. On any computer on any modern OS, I type "google.com/ig" and I have applications, calendar, email, news, to do .... it just goes on.

This is so cool I can't help thinking this is just the beginning. If Google Docs can get just a bit better like Zoho.com, soon I will need nothing else. Just a machine with an internet connection. So ... how long with this cost nothing?

No comments: