Monday, January 22, 2007

MAMP is cooler than I thought

So the power of MAMP isn't that it quikly installs and sets up Apache, MySQL and PHP (although it does that), it's that it does so in a box. Well, not a box, but all to itself. This allows you to run these tools for a specific website your working on, without affecting the rest of you machine.

Ok, that's still not right. What I mean is, I can use MAMP to install a website I'm building onto my little Powerbook. I can test it out locally, then upload it. I can also install multiple instances of MAMP (with a little tweaking) to test out different websites I'm building. In addition, the shutdown or restart of MAMP does not affect the running of apache, php or mysql from there default locations, so my other websites on my Powerbook are not affected. Get it? I didn't till I started using it. So, if you develop websites on mac, go get this program and see what I mean!

http://www.mamp.info/en/index.php

No comments: