Monday, January 22, 2007

GIMPShop I love you ...

It's a secret wish of mine that all software should be free for education. Ok, not secret, but still a wish. It bothers me to no end that our schools have to pour limited resources into software, just to train users who will go out and buy that companies software. It's not right. I'm not a graphic shop. I do not use Adobe Photoshop for anything I sell or make money from.

Some companies have realized this and now give their software to schools. Kudos to Simply Accounting and QuickBooks who do that in Canada. Some of the big offenders however are Adobe and Microsoft.

Enter programs like GIMP. GIMP is great on Linux, and I can use it for most of what I need to do with images. However, students often get lost in the interface. But now there is GIMPShop. I haven't used it lots, but it seems to answer most of the interface problems I've had. This will also mean I can still use the Photoshop tutorials we have in teaching it. Looks like a great win for Education. More like this please !!

http://www.gimpshop.net/

No comments: