Friday, April 13, 2007

It's simple, so why is it so hard ...

I've run school computer labs for 10 years now. To do so efficiently I need to have three tools in place. One, easy start-and-walk-away setup of computer clients. Two, easy remote install/uninstall of software. Three control over who does what when and where.

On Macs I do one with Netboot/Netrestore, two with Remote Desktop, and three with Open Directory and MCX settings. On windows I can do one with RIS, two with MSI packaging, and three with Active Directory and GPOs.

So why is this hard to do on Linux? I've heard of custom stuff, but why is it not just easy and simple. Why do these tools not come with Edubuntu? Any help?

1 comment:

Willow Brown said...

Ah...this explains your almost instantaneous response to the invitation the M.Ed. blog! Feel free to post any thoughts you may have about the upcoming course or the readings, just to "prime the pump". See you soon, Willow